Thursday, October 30, 2008

This scares people?

I had to stop and scratch my head when I heard John McCain speaking at a rally a few days ago. He was telling his supporters that they had to stop Barack Obama because he believes in wealth distribution. So what he is saying is that the concept of paying taxes to support those in need is something to be feared. So is that why they need to pay for their own healthcare? Then I see an ad on a Spokane network channel for Dino Rossi, the Republican candidate for Washington state governor. Apparently his opponent, Christine Gregoire, Democrat, was once caught on tape supporting the concept of income taxes. It wasn't only mind boggling for me that a candidate should be lambasted for supporting income taxes, but I immediately asked myself 'What, Washington State has no personal income taxes?'. That can't be true. Well it is. Right from the website of the Washington State Department of Revenue comes the following: "Washington State does not have a personal or corporate income tax." What? How do they pay for anything?

It turns out that nine American states do not collect personal income taxes: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Tennessee. I must be Canadian. The whole concept blows my mind.

Did you know about this? Sure surprised me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what the hell do the Republicans call it when you suggest that the rich give a little something back? Class warfare? The "Don`t pick on the rich, they have it rough enough" mentality....?
Yes, wealth distribution is a scary, evil thought....
I hate Republicans.