Thursday, May 22, 2008

Softy

My wife and I just had our second child a week ago. My boss and colleague were saints and rallied around me to allow me a week at home with my family. (This is in stark contrast to my previous boss who forced me back to work while my wife was still in hospital with our first child.) As such, since baby #2 is attached to mommy's breasts 24/7, I've been keeping the toddler busy and entertained. It's been nice alone time for us and a good time for mommy to bond with the new baby.

This morning my little guy broke my heart. Ever since the new baby arrived, my toddler has seemed much older and grown up to me. He seems to be developing at light speed, acquiring 3 new words in 1 week, effectively doubling his vocabulary This may have something to do with vying for attention with his new baby brother, or it may just be a coincidence. So anyways, we were at the local playgroup this morning. My toddler is going through a pinching phase. Any kid that gets too in his face suffers a pinch. We are trying our darnedest to get him out of it, and it is working, but it's slow. However, he is a good sharer if another child approaches him slowly and with supple warning, and especially if she happens to be one of his self-proclaimed girlfriends.

He had just finished having a breakthrough. A little girl came up to him when he was playing with a toy that he had wanted particularly badly and had finally gotten his hands on. Normally he would respond by pinching the intruder and claiming dominion over his newfound possession. This time though, he leaned in to the little girl and gave her a big kiss and proceeded to hand over the toy! She then returned his kiss and gave the toy right back. What a brilliant display of love and sharing!

Right after that he was playing with another toy. I looked over at him and he just looked so big, mature, and indescribably adorable. I suddenly had this flash of him with a little lunch pail waiting outside for the school bus. I totally lost it, right in the middle of the building, amidst all the playing children and chatting parents. I just started crying all by myself, watching my little boy grow up before my eyes.

Shortly after this, he came over to me, showed me the new toy he had found, and uttered one of his new favorite words: "Daddy". The tears just kept on coming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Tony, as parents we all know the feeling of our babies getting older and more independant. I still hold my breath each day my big girl leaves the house. I still cry every first day of school even if she is going into grade 12 next year! Isn't being a Daddy or Mommy the greatest joy? Love you,G.A.S.

Anonymous said...

How do you think I felt watching you on the stage at the Jubilee delivering a very moving valedictory speech? My little boy was all grown up and mesmerizing people with his words. And the day that you moved out and I watched your dad cry. But I had to think of your leaving as a job well done, and a new start in life. We're so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

You bastard, you made me cry too.